Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sweet Dumpling Squash Breakfast

I'm short on enery for fun recipes & short on groceries...  I had a cute little (sweet dumpling?) squash in my fridge that needed to get eaten.  Here's how it happened.

Preheat oven to 350.
Cut Squash in half...this may take some warrior samarai skill.
lightly coat the inside with coconut oil
Place flat sides down on baking sheet with layer of water.
Bake for 20 min.


Peel an apple.  Chop it into small chunks.
Put it in a small bowl.
Add cinnamon and a handful of chopped walnuts.
(I just grab a palmful and crunch them in my hands...I'm about time saving!)
Add a small drizzle of coconut oil
Cover and shake.

After the squash has baked 20 min.
Take it out.  Flip it over so it is like two little cups.
Add the apple walnut mixture.

If you just baked it another 30 min like this that would be delicious.
But I wanted protein... short on time and groceries.  Grabbed egg whites.
(because I have a carton of them yes.)
Fill the squash apple walnut cups with egg whites.

Bake uncovered for 30min.
I like my eggs not at all runny so I had to cover with tin foil and add more time.
Flavor = good. 
Not having to think or search for recipes or go to the store = priceless.

*Idea was inspired as a variation from recipes read weeks ago, probably on a friend's Wicked Appetite blog and/or tasty paleo.

No comments:

Post a Comment