Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pumpkin/Butternut Cookies & Muffins

Nobody bakes like Mama's.  Today is the feast of the Immaculate Conception, so in honor of my Mama Mary, I decided to bake a paleo treat!   The verdict is out... no one bakes like mamas and I obviously am not a mama.
Ah well.  This is what I did.

At 400 for 15 min.
1 1/2c Pumpkin (I used a pie pumpkin. I just baked it like any other squash, then Pulled out the flesh and mashed it up)
3 tbs agave nectar
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 c. coconut milk
1 c. chopped walnuts

1 c coconut flour
1/2c almond flour
1 tsp baking powder.
2tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon

They were ok, just dry.  Coconut flour is still hard for me to cook with.  It sucks up all the moisture so I find that I have to double or triple the amount of liquid ingredient to try to make it balance. Almond flour seems much better for baking to me, but it is more expensive.  I've thought about grinding my own, but haven't taken that step yet.

This is what I did the last time that came out so much better, as Muffins actually
1 1/2c  butternut squash
3 tbs agave nectar
2 eggs

1/4 c. coconut milk
3/4 c. chopped walnuts
1c almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
1 tbs cinnamon
Inspired from Everyday Paleo

No comments:

Post a Comment