Saturday, December 4, 2010

Chocolate Milk?

Yes! Chocolate Milk!

Chocolate Milk: The New Sports Drink?
Check it out. 

Today after the best WOD ever I went for the chocolate milk.... deliciousness.

I waited to see if it would bother my GI system before Workout 2 and....nope! just deliciousness. (I confess to being a little annoyed sometimes that my body doesn't exude intolerance for things I have cut out of my diet. Oh well. That is another topic.)
 
A while back I watched a series of interviews on crossfit about nutrition.  Boz went around interviewing HQ's trainers and athletes about what they do.
Zone, Paleo, and the "I eat whatever I want" diet from BA Spealler.

I was surprised how many of the athlete's had chocolate milk as their post workout nutrition of choice.  The idea was dismissed of course.  "I'm not allowed to do that. I'm sure there's a better way."   Actually I'm terrible about eating anything post WOD.

I was speaking with a friend just the other day who has recently been to a nutritionist.  She came highly recommended - PhD yes, but also a body builder herself she knows very well the science of our bodies and how foods affect them.  She actually recommended chocolate milk as recovery - it has carbs, proteins, fats for all the nutrients to absorb properly and post workout is the best time to have added sugars or carbs because it's when metabolism is highest.
Maybe, it's not necessarily best for looking the cuttest, but for just recovery and well being. 

I don't think I will make this a daily habit.  I still think it's too much sugar, and that dairy is going to keep a fat layer on me preventing the definition I want, but boy did it make me feel happy today.  I will not feel guilty for make this choice every now and then, particularly on heavy days or double WOD days.

1 comment:

  1. That's very interesting. I never would have thought of chocolate milk as HELPFUL-especially after a workout. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete