Saturday, October 30, 2010

Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti Squash - one of fall's delights.  I first tried this a few weeks ago and really didn't know how I felt about it. But I have eaten two of these buggers this week and they are so moist and sweet.... mmm... I think I know the trick.

Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees

Wash off your squash
Cut in 1/2 (either direction is fine really)
Lightly coat the inside with coconut oil (I think this is the trick to sweet moistness)
Place flat side down on baking sheet.
Pour a layer of water on the sheet.
Place in the middle of the oven to bake for 1 hour.
When it's finished you can use a fork to pull out the insides. They look like spaghettis - hence the name!

Now what's your pasta flavor??
Earlier this week I ate it with a tomato sauce.

I sauteed some onions, garlic cloves, and mushrooms in about 2 tbs of EVOO.
Then added about 3 oz of ground turkey I had cooked that morning (I like to cook a lb or two at a time so it's ready for quicker recipes).
and the marinara... I used a jar from my local market... it had a very short list of natural ingredients - all real things, no chemical names OR sugar. (Very important - as you start reading labels you will find that sugar in some form is added to almost everything packaged! Steer clear!)


Or go for PESTO!!
Exhibit A



I love pesto, but I can not keep a basil plant alive for anything!  see exhibit A... this is what is left of my latest plant... ah well I got three pesto servings out of if before this point...


Pesto is easy... It's lots of basil leaves, tossed in a food processor of some sort with a few tbs of EVOO and a clove of garlic or two.  I added some sundried tomatoes to mine the last few times... YUM!  (If you eat dairy you will probably want to add some Parmesan cheese to it).

Add one chicken breast, chopped. (cooked in a pan with some Italian seasonings), and Voila!   Chicken pesto 'pasta'

 These are just two delicious ways to eat this fantastic gift of nature!   There are so many more - noodle stir fry anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment