Saturday, October 30, 2010

My Diet

 "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food." - God


Not a fad diet, but my nutrition plan... the lifestyle that I've taken for the last month and hope to continue is as follows:
 Except I have opted out of the dairy as well, and I limit my 'starchy veggies' to sweet potatoes/yams.   

What I LOVE about this:  no guilt. no counting or measuring.  Not all food choices, even within this pyramid, are created equally.  My body is my guide.  It lets me know what I'm missing and craving.  I eat freely of foods that are in this pyramid.   It's just so... Natural.  and FREEING!  

Adam and Eve in the garden... they had everything to choose from, but they screwed it up for all of us by going for the one thing forbidden... I find within this program there are so many delicious options! Food never tasted so good!! 

The longer I exercise my choice for good, the more I don't give in to cravings for junk food or alcohol, the more freedom I experience - the less I even want them, the more I see them for what they are... destructive.  Junk food is like sin... seriously.  It has an appeal.  It draws us, promising delight but the more we choose it the more bound by it we become.  We may begin to realize that it is having negative effects some how, if we can even see that clearly, but we don't care, we don't want to stop, we don't want to give it up. and the more we continue choose the more blind we become to what's really happening to us.  I want to clear my vision, and I want to choose right. Hmm... we'll see :)


The Challenge...
What I don't love about this is actually a problem with the food industry and our culture, not with this program. What I don't love is that I have sort of isolated myself ... because the social eating scene holds nothing for me so it's a sacrifice to go out and be faced with 99 bad choices for every good 1 ... if there is a good one. And sometimes to find a good choice I have to be that annoying very picky person asking questions about everything and making all sorts of substitutions.  I don't want to be that person, but food industry... REALLY!?  It should not be so hard for a person to get REAL food.  

However, it is possible to be true to this program publicly.
There are substitutes. For example:

Bars- I don't drink any more, but found I'm very happy with tonic water and limes for the occasion.  
Coffee Shops (where I used to practically live) - I can be content with an unsweetened iced tea.  And some shops might sell some nuts I can eat.
Restaurants - I can order a salad and put some olive oil on it, and SOME restaurants do have some good choices - just meat and steamed veggies, or veggies sauteed in olive oil. 

BUT the thing is that the food I prepare and eat at home is 10x better than any of the alternatives:  it tastes better, I know what's in it, and it's usually at a fraction of the cost.  It irritates me to pay restaurant prices for something that is just a substitute to the goodness I could have on my own.  And it's not an option to me to just feed my body junk it doesn't need just for the sake of the occasion or because the Paleo alternatives are sub-standard.  
 Why would I want to do that? 

My solution so far has been to make my own 'paleo' treats for parties. I pack food almost everytime I leave the house just so I have good things to eat when hunger strikes.  There is no excuse, no reason not to succeed on this program with proper preparation.  There is no need to feel deprived (which will likely send a person sprinting toward poor choices later).

I do have to say that the vast majority of people that have encountered me on this journey have been hugely supportive and understanding.  (THANK YOU!!)  Some even fascinated and inspired.  
While I don't like drawing attention to myself, or appearing so 'needy' and 'picky' with what I will and will not eat,  it's a sacrifice I choose to make.  I am choosing also not to be ashamed of it, because I really believe this is better for me.  I won't tell others how they should live or eat, but I will stand as an example of what is possible.  There are challenges, sure! But it's a cost-worth scenario... My health and performance is worth it to me.  Freedom is worth it to me!  more on that at another time...

 "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" -JC

No comments:

Post a Comment