Monday, April 18, 2011

Did someone say M&M's?

I love love love M&M's!  not the plain ones. Boring!   I love peanut m&m's and peanut butter m&m's and even pretzel m&m's and coconut m&m's....
actually I had a little binder and ate one four bags of the little devils the other weekend.  
This got me thinking.  How bad are they really? (well ... I did come down with a fever and cold and general misery. ahem. but I'm sure that's another story.)
Why don't I compare them to raisins and walnuts, on which I munch all day when I'm being 'good'?
Did you know???

one cup of raisins has 98g of sugar while a cup (8oz) of peanut M&M's has 112g
one cup of walnuts has 76 g of fat while a cup of peanut M&M's has 64g 
one cup of walnuts has 18g of protein while a cup of peanut M&M's has 27g protein

Roughly speaking in six handfuls of raisins/walnuts I'm getting 50g sugar, 40g fat, 20g protein. 
While two bags of peanut M&M's will give me 50g sugar, 26g fat, 10g protein.

That is crazy.  
so walnuts and raisins are:
1) natural and relatively unprocessed
2) higher in protein

But if I'm going to get all that fat and sugar, why not eat peanut M&M's??!!  They are so delightful right??
Until my performance in the gym declines, I get sick, and I start bringing back the winter layer... BOO!

So If I'm being "good", aka eating clean, my muchy indulgence is raisins and nuts, and if I'm not... well peanut M&M's are on the list.  What's your weakness? Do you avoid it?  What's something delightful you've found that's still good for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment