Thursday, February 2, 2012

Reading Projects

I'm the kind of girl that gets into a novel and has to finish it as fast as possible... when it's Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, or Kristin Lavransdatter...oooh or the Fairy Tale series by Regina Doman.   You know mostly teeny bopper books.
But then there are so many other books that take me FOR. EVER. to get through.   I always have a list of books I'm working on, when an occassional super novel will make it on the list and remind me that I can be productive ;)

Here's what I have in the works
Goal: finish 80% by June

Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer
really good stuff, but takes a lot of prayer and reflection time

Healing Life's Hurts by Edward Smith
doing this one with a group, so I've got to finish it right?

Count of Monte Cristo by A. Dumas
This one's been in the works for at least a year, need to come back to that.

The Brothers Karamozov by Dostoevsky
Recommended because I loved Kristin Lavransdatter, and well it's a classic,
 but I never made it through the 1st chapter.

The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain
Follow up reading from the Paleo Solution, but unfortunately Cordain isn't as engaging a writer as Robb Wolf

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson
recommended and gifted from a friend - great message, but I get so annoyed with his paraphrasing and interpretation of scripture it's hard get the good messages out of it. 

How to Find your Soulmate without Losing Your Soul by Jason & Crystalina Evert
Yes, I'm reading this. Yes, that's kind of embarassing.  BUT it's got a lot of good stuff and good reminders. A lot about growing a backbone, and being the woman to desrve the kind of man I would want and pretty much a lot about why I might be single forever. 
Maybe I'll post more on this one when I finish it.

Rediscover Catholicism by Matthew Kelly
Thought it looked dumb, but it's actually really good stuff. It's simple.  I like simple. Basically breaks it down to the point of our Faith is that we become holy, and what is holiness other than being the best version of yourself and most truly who God made you to be.  I recommend it.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
was supposed to read it for a book club that I never attended.  Still it looks like it could be good, and I bought it so I better go ahead and read it.

Desire by John Eldredge
I started this one after "Waking the Dead", which was awesome.  I didn't make it that far though because I think it just made me cry.  I may come back to it on a stronger day when I'm ready to face up to what the true desires of my heart are and what's keeping me from them.  For now though I think I'm still weeding through what I THINK I want and separating out what's really me and what's been planted.

AND I don't have them yet, but I want to read...
CS Lewis's Space Trilogy.
somehow I think I've read them before, but don't remember.

Any recommendations for a novel a just won't be able to put down?... there's too much heavy on this list!

No comments:

Post a Comment